"The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself."

"The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself."
William Faulkner

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Near Birth Experience?

For many years I have been reading about people who claim to have "died" and then "come back". Well -- no, -- they didn't die, or they would be dead. We would never hear from them again. We all knew people like this. They went into the light and stayed there. Or, they blinked back into the state they were in before they were born -- that is -- no awareness. No "eternal soul"....existence no more.

Doesn't eternal soul (mind) equate with eternal awareness? If not, why not? So I wondered, why have I never heard from somebody claiming to have had a near birth experience? I am excluding people like Shirley McClaine who state that they have been radishes or wolves in a former life. But people who "knew" they were about to be born, or remember being in utero. Nada.

Researchers in neuroscience and brain physiology are beginning to understand the relationship between electromagnetism and sentience. And some are even now suggesting a link between quantum mechanics and "micro tubules" in the brain which link all consciousness in the Universe together. A Canadian researcher has invented a "God Helmet" which, when activated on test subjects, brings an awareness of another being in an otherwise empty room.

There is no doubt that there is a growing body of experiments and anecdotes which points to some type of consciousness beyond the one we are all familiar with -- something which lasts beyond this existence. My own mind will not allow me to ignore it. I wonder at the consistency of the stories, but am compelled to ask why, in fact, no one is ever quizzed on what they actually believed when they were "alive"?

Since, according to some, faith is essential for salvation, why do those without it report the same experience as those who "believe"? Is it because we all, in fact, have faith of some type or kind? I believe this may be so. File under "Irony".

1 comment:

  1. On the days when I'm feeling rather suicidal (it comes and goes, I have to say), thinking about this unknown element, or else lying on the couch watching shows about the natural world, are the two things that will be guaranteed to be the golden thread to pull myself out of despondency.

    In fact, the unknown element and the golden thread feel like they're the same sort of thing, to me :)

    ReplyDelete