"The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself."

"The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself."
William Faulkner

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Medicare -- Myth vs. Fact

I am going to veer off topic for a bit because there is a lot of misinformation out there about universal healthcare -- specifically Medicare. As one who worked for over 30 years in the SSA system, I would like to help clarify if I can.

Social Security was established during the height of the Great Depression as a part of FDR's New Deal. It was intended to help the elderly pay for basics (food and shelter) after they no longer had a paycheck coming in. The age of eligibility was 65, and participation through payroll taxes was mandatory for everyone except government workers, who at that time were covered by the Civil Service system (now gone and replaced by FERS).

At the beginning, a Trust Fund was established for the monies being paid in, and there were 10 workers paying for each retiree. Also, the average life expectancy was about age 55. Many people never collected a dime.

After the second world war the economy was robust, and the returning G.I.'s began the Baby Boom. In 1958, a Disability benefit was added to the SSA system, so some people could "retire" earlier than age 65. Eligibility and benefit amounts were determined by the impairment(s), the worker's contributions into the system, and level of earnings. And now, benefits could go not only to the retired disabled, but also their children under 18 as well as their widows once they died.

In 1965, LBJ began The Great Society, and Congress added Medicare and Medicaid to the SSA system. From that day forward, health benefits have been a part of the SSA. In 1974, SSI (Supplemental Security Income) replaced general Welfare for disabled children and low income disabled adults who had never made any contributions to SSA.

If the Trust Fund had remained separate from the federal General Fund, the system would be fully solvent through 2038, even though the Baby Boomers are now coming on board, the average lifespan has grown to over 78 years, and there are now only three workers for every retiree. But as the monies have come in, they were not placed in Trust, but spent, with IOU's being sent to the SSA.

The problem, of course, is that the Congress and presidents have been using the SSA Trust funds all along, not just to give out candy, but also to give away the candy store. It is not Social Security retirement that is bankrupting the country -- it is the health insurance costs -- Medicare (Parts A, B, and D) and Medicaid/SSI (welfare). These expenses absolutely dwarf the retirement payments.

But the point is -- everybody in the USA has had access to healthcare since 1965. By federal law, any hospital which receives government reimbursement -- that is to say virtually all hospitals -- is required to see and treat every person who comes to their door. And being unaware of this fact does not make it false. We all pay taxes at work our whole working life which fund Part A (hospital costs). We pay for Part B (doctor visits, lab tests, etc.) and Part D (medications) through premiums taken directly out of our retirement checks.

If we each helped the government out a little by dying at around age 68, there would be less angst in Washington. But we don't. Many of us are living well into our 80's and 90's, spending all the money we ever put in, and then taking it out of our children and grandchildrens' pockets (future taxes, reduced benefits).

I have watched elections closely since 1968. I have noticed that any politician who speaks about how we must cut back, reduce spending, raise taxes, or cut entitlements is usually defeated at the polls. So I do not blame them so much as the people who vote for those others -- the ones who tell us what they think we want to hear. And that makes us -- the American voter -- complicit in their deceit. We cannot resist the idea that there is such a thing as a free lunch.

The young people (those under age 35 or so) despair at paying for programs that they will never benefit from. It is very disheartening, because many of them need the money now which is being taken from them, supposedly for later. The simplest fix to all this would be to raise the age of entitlement to age 70 and increase the payroll tax to the FULL amount of one's salary, not just the first 125k. But even doing that seems impossible when current leaders are pushing for a continuation of the payroll tax reductions put in place several years ago.

We will pay for the excesses and lack of political will of the past, in the form of inflation, unemployment, stagnant wages, crumbling infrastructure, jobs shipped overseas, and a looming and deepening crisis in healthcare.

8 comments:

  1. I tend to stay out of discussions about politics and government. And here's why: Growing up, my dad preached politics at every dinner. Mostly about federal judges and how they were going to be the death of the country. I grew up nothing but scared, of everything. All the bad things that were going to happen when I became a grown-up. Government was going to take away my children, etc. The night before his surgery for esophogeal cancer in 2009, he called me from Houston, and all he wanted to do was blast O'bama. I stopped him and said, "Dad, I really don't want to talk about politics tonight." He didn't have much of anything to say to me after that. He didn't survive the aftermath of that surgery. Politics was my dad's religion. For all the good it did him, it kept him from being able to say the things that needed to be said at a crucial time. I never want to be that way, and I hope I never do that to my kids. But this is why I stay out of discussions about politics, no matter how "urgent" or "important" the issues are deemed. Politics took my Dad away from me even before he died, and it sure can't give him back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia,

    I am sorry about your father. I think I understand a little about how you feel. After my father abandoned my mother and his three small children, we were forever after made aware that any day, at any time, we could end up "on the streets, with no place to live". The specter of that ghost still haunts me to this day.

    I don't know if you can see it from my profile page, but I have (had) another blog about the SSA DIB program, which I wrote in an effort to help people navigate the system after I retired. My sole purpose was to help, because I knew from years of experience how frustrated people got with the ted tape. Only one or two people ever visited, so I quit adding posts.

    I too am averse to discussing politics. Most of what was in this post was just information and history. After some talk at ET, I felt it best to post it over here.

    I do appreciate very much your thoughts, and especially your insights gleaned from George MacDonald. I thank you as well for being so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate you, Sam. My brother is now on disability also as of last spring, after 30 years of suicide attempts, depression and addictions to pain pills. He's lost his career as a pharmacist, and I don't know how they're going to make it. He also had his first spine surgery last Tuesday on his neck. He also has a crushed disk in his back, and will have that surgery in a few months. I'm not exactly "in the loop" in my own family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have known several pharmacists with addictions. It is an occupational hazard, to be sure.

    I know you may not have the best relationship with your family. My sister too has been in a wheelchair and on DIB for many years. We have a somewhat strained relationship, but she does call with medical questions from time-to-time.

    Hopefully your brother will now get some relief and peace. And hopefully he has some form of health insurance (maybe even COBRA?) which can tide them over until he qualifies for Medicare (2 years).

    If he had a retirement plan or 401k at work, that along with DIB would provide at least a modicom of income, esp. if he has children under the age of 18 (extra income per child).

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's had a lot of health problems, and his first addictions were due to the doctor-prescribed pain management in the aftermath of surgeries. He's been through medical hell trying to find out why his legs hurt so bad. Finally a doc did an MRI and found the disk issues. Previous docs thought it was MS, or just in his head. I think his 401K is gone. I think he used it to pay off their mortgage. Both his kids are out of high school. One is out of college, and one is in college.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister and I were born with a form of MS called Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (named for the French and British doctors who first described it). It causes deformities in the extremities, esp. the feet and hands.

    After many years of leg/foot surgery, I developed blood clots in both my legs and lungs. I am very fortunate to still be here. But I am left with neuropathy and ataxia in both legs and arms and hands.

    Neuropathy (esp. the pain in the legs and feet) can drive you mad. I sometimes cannot sit still it hurts so badly. I have always been able to avoid taking drugs for pain, but have used medication for anxiety which can be very addictive. I know all the signs of habituation, and so over the years (even when my doctors have advised more use), I have voluntarily restricted myself to very low levels. And I consider myself fortunate.

    With time has come wisdom. Nothing makes me happier now than when our daughter (or her new husband) comes to me for help. It makes everything else worth the trauma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam, I think you're pretty heroic, with all that you've been through, and to conscientiously keep yourself from prescription addiction. Your daughter is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patricia,

    I'm the lucky one. In my career I learned much about medicine (the science) as well as addiction. My sister and I have both experienced a lot of physical and psychological pain over the years, and neither of us has succumbed to reliance on pain meds. I don't know why, other than pain has been so much a part of what has defined us as people.

    We both have motility problems with our gut as a result of the CMT, and so we don't tolerate pain meds. well at all in our stomachs. That may have something to do with it.

    The best thing that has ever happened to me was the birth of our child. It changed my life. I waited until I was 38 years old to commit to parenthood, worrying that I might pass on this terrible disease. My sister had her tubes tied when she was 21. My daughter has my disease, but a much milder form, for which I am grateful. Now she is married and looking forward to starting her own family. It seems as though the mutant gene is being watered down with each new generation. I hope any grand kids will be free of it altogether.

    ReplyDelete