"The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself."

"The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself."
William Faulkner

Friday, December 30, 2011

Skepticism and the Hereafter

Nothing rains down contempt on one's head faster on any of a number of atheistic and humanist blogs than the suggestion that the decision not to believe in a supreme being, creator, god, prime mover, or first cause is -- in fact -- a decision, and not simply an assertion of a lack of information. Indeed, a "lack of bias" is an article of "faith" among almost all non-believers.

It is wrong to think that a non-believing worldview is more objective than that of a person of faith. Both points of view rely on the subjective assumptions of each person -- including their presuppositions. However, skeptics will have no truck with this concept. In fact, they find it offensive.

I have been deeply moved in the past twenty-four hours by viewing the final YouTube video post of Ben Breedlove, an 18 year-old boy who died on Christmas morning while playing with his younger brother in their back yard. Ben was born with a heart problem which made him sick for most of his short life. He literally died (and was then revived) from cardiac arrest at least three times before the fourth and, it turned out, final episode. I urge you to view his last video, which if you are of a certain age may jog your memory for Bob Dylan's original music video (Subterranean Homesick Blues, complete with cue cards, years before the music video was officially "invented" on MTV).

I have read several books by people such as Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, Raymond Moody, and Mario Beauregard, as well as watched many people on TV trying to explain their near-death experiences. I myself have had one, though it did not follow the typical "tunnel of light" motif.

Due to advances in modern medicine over the past 50 or so years, more of these stories are now available for study. And doctors can objectively verify that some of these people are aware of objects in the room, conversations in waiting rooms, and occurrences in operating rooms which happened during the moments that these people were unconscious and "dead". That shifts the entire experience out of the purely speculative and into the empirical. So much so that some physicians in the US and Great Brittan are now placing objects high up out of sight so that later they can verify this phenomenon.

I contrast this with other other psychic phenomena such as alien abduction, for which there is no empirical proof whatsoever. The "near-death experience" is beginning to accumulate a formidable body of scientific evidence, based on the testimony of first-person, trained observers.

In watching Ben's video, and the interview with his mom and dad the day after he died, I came away with a great sense of peace and joy. It is obvious to me that Ben knew where he was going. He does not preach, nor does he espouse any one savior or religion, really. His final two cue cards ask, simply -- "Do you believe in angels or God? --- I do". In earlier cards he had briefly hinted at what he saw when he "died". Most of all, he was happy and felt utter peace. He said he did not want to leave that place.

But you know what? I also watched as the comments poured in last night, one per second. Too fast to read, but the gist was clear. There were many that simply said "R.I.P." Many who said his video made them cry, or changed their lives. But there were many who blasted out in hate, angry that Ben is getting any attention, angry that he "believed", and screaming that "there is no god", calling him vile, obscene, and hurtful (to his parents, perhaps) names.

I don't understand this at all, unless these haters feel so in the minority in our society that they see fit to use this death to unload all their frustration. I do not want to believe that ordinary thinking people can be this filled with hate, just because a boy died believing in angels and God. I wonder if Ben is now in a much better place. And I am not really sad for him, though I have great empathy for his folks.

I have been a skeptic for most of my adult life. And I have been deeply hurt by Christians, especially the pastor of my youth. But I do not begrudge anyone their beliefs, so long as they not insist that I must share them. Maybe that insistence is why some of these people are so bitter. But if that is true, time and tide seem to be turning in their favor in our culture just now, but what we end up with may not be the Utopia they dream of.

And that leads to the very real, empirical question of what their last breath of this life will be like for them, when that moment arrives, as surely it will. I very much hope that mine is similar to Ben's. And I am grateful to have heard his story, however brief.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sam,
    I saw the Ben Breedlove videos, too. That was really something. He seemed to have "really lived" in his short life, grateful for each day, and faced death with positive expectations, rather than fear and dread.

    My own NDE was also quite positive, but I haven't found life to be so, and I guess that's where theodicy keeps cropping up begging the questions. Obviously Ben came from a loving family, and maybe that's a real difference in terms of the whole moral luck scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia,

    Yes, I also think some of that moral luck was involved, but I find myself today questioning everything again. From what I saw, it seems he was predisposed to be upbeat anyway. It's impossible to know which came first -- the family dynamic or the happiness.

    I am trying lately either not to take myself so seriously, or to look at the humor in things if I can.

    I thought last night about this past weekend, and decided that on M - W - F I will assume that God is a creation of our imagination, on T & Th we are a creation of his imagination, and on the weekends I just won't think about it.

    I think NDE's are a real key to my own "faith". It seems more real than anything written in a book. Many people also report other paranormal events, of course, but I tend to discount these since they are hearsay. But the NDE is being studied carefully in many places, and objective third-parties are now making some strong statements in corroboration -- confirming some elements which are being reported.

    That's why Ben's story resonated so.

    ReplyDelete